Ingredients (use vegan versions):
- 1 cup masoor dal (red lentils)
- 2 cups potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 cup carrots peeled and sliced
- 4 cups veg broth
- 2tablespoon oil
- 1 sm onion chopped
- 1 inch fresh ginger minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 1tablespoon dhana jeera (cumin and coriander powder 50/50)
- 1 tspn cayenne powder
- 1/2 tspn garam masala
- 1/8 tspn turmeric
- salt to taste
Peel and cube potatoes and add to lentils.
Peel and slice carrots, then add to lentils and potatoes, set aside.
In a large pot saute onion in oil, then add green chile, ginger,
and garlic…saute till onion is translucent.
Add veg. broth, dal. potatoes, carrots, and
seasoning to the sauteed onions. Bring to boil and then reduce to
a simmer until potatoes and carrots are soft…check
taste and add seasoning if needed. Serve with rice.
Indian Lentil Stew – Serving Suggestion:
Serve this delicious Indian Lentil Stew dish with some rice – such as
saffron or cumin rice, and with some warmed flat bread (such as
Chappati or Naan breads) lightly topped with
garlic butter / garlic infused oil.