The name of this recipe says it all really! – not only is it extremely fast to make and so insanely easy that ANYONE could make it, but it also has to be tasted to be believed! – it is simply divine. Karens Oh-So-Easy Feta-Chilli Salad makes a perfect side-salad for any dish, or is delicious served on it’s own or can be used as a filling in a crusty bread roll or sandwich.
I came up with this recipe a couple of nights ago when I needed a super-quick and easy side-salad for a (store-bought) vegetable quiche after coming home hungry and exhausted. I hope you like it as much as my family did.
- 90g (approx 3 cups) of Rocket and Baby Spinach Leaves (or you could use another type of salad greens, if you prefer)
- 3 fresh tomatoes, sliced or chopped
- 125-180g of SOFT Feta Cheese marinated in olive oil with chillies & chives – such as the “Persian Feta – Chilli & Chive” brand by South Cape – cut or broken up into small 1-to- 1 1/2cm cubes.
(Note: I will try to create a recipe very soon for making a marinated Feta with Chilli and Chives from scratch… In the meantime, if you can’t get the excellent South Cape brand then you could try using any plain marinated feta and just add some fresh and dried chilli & chives….)
- freshly ground black pepper
- freshly ground sea salt (or salt flakes, if you prefer)
- Wash the Rocket & Spinach Leaves well, and drain well & then put aside for a few minutes to dry (or you could use a salad-spinner or paper towel to dry off any excess water)
- Place the Rocket & Spinach leaves in a large serving bowl.
- Add the sliced tomatoes
- Add the pieces of marinated feta cheese (but NOT the oil that they were stored in…)
- Add Salt & Pepper to suit your taste
- Stir the oil that the feta was originally stored in, and drizzle some of it over the salad. Add just enough to lightly coat the salad (approx. 1-2 tablespoons should suffice).
- Toss the salad gently & serve!
Serve on it’s own or use as a side salad.
- Please use good quality tomatoes for this recipe, such as those found in quality green-grocers, as it really does make a big difference to the finished result…..
- cherry tomatoes would also be nice to use for this recipe
- don’t use normal table salt (unless that’s all you have at hand) as using the freshly ground sea salt does make a difference… Same goes for the pepper.
- You don’t have to be precise when cutting up the feta – you can use a small spoon to spoon out small chunks if the feta is very soft (such as the South Cape brand feta is).
- Always wash any salad greens well before using, even if you think that they look clean – unwashed vegetables can contain harmful bacteria & lead to food poisoning