Karen’s Easy Banana n’ Caramel Compote
This Banana n’ Caramel Compote recipe is SUPER-EASY and is delicious whether served alone with ice cream / whipped cream, or (my favourite) served with pancakes or crepes and then topped with whipped cream / ice-cream.
If you prefer lots of sauce with the bananas then simply increase the amount of ingredients required for the sauce.
- 4 Bananas (Firm, but Ripe), sliced.
- 3-4 Tablespoons Butter
- 3-4 Tablespoons Raw Sugar (or Brown Sugar, if preferred)
- 1-2 Drops of Vanilla Essence
SERVE WITH (Suggestions):
Prepared Crepes, Pancakes or Flap-Jacks (Note: You don’t have to use home-made crepes or pancakes etc, although naturally they would be best to use. Purchased frozen crepes, pancakes or Flap-Jacks are also fine to use, too. They can be microwaved just before serving. I like to sprinkle a very, very fine layer of caster sugar over the crepes if I am using frozen crepes.)
Whipped Cream or Vanilla Ice Cream
(Quick, easy and creates a more “firm” version & has better presentation – so better for crepes etc)
- Place the butter & sugar into a large saucepan & slowly melt it over a medium heat, stirring continuously until it makes a thick caramel “sauce”.
- Add the Vanilla essence & Stir well.
- Leave to cool down slightly (for approx. 5 minutes should suffice)
- Add the Banana Slices, and stir gently until well combined and the banana pieces are well coated in the caramel sauce.
(Creates a more “Steamed” version)
- Place the Banana Slices, Butter, Sugar & Vanilla into a casserole dish, stir & then cover and place in a low-medium heat oven (approx. 160 degrees Celsius) for about 8-15 minutes, or until the sugar has completely dissolved and the bananas are tender (but not overcooked or mushy).
- Stir, and serve.