Karen’s Apple Crostata Slices
This recipe has been a favorite in my family for over 20 years, and it’s also a great way of getting fussy children to eat something with at least some healthy ingredients in it! (Ricotta Cheese is excellent for growing bones / providing calcium, and of course the apples & lemon will provide vitamins and also some fibre). It keeps very well if stored in the refrigerator and is delicious served hot or cold.
1 1/2 Cups S.R Flour
3 TBSP. Butter
1/4 Cup Sugar
3 TBSP. Lemon Juice (Fresh is best)
NOTE: More Lemon Juice may be required depending on flour absorbancy.
Also,it is not essential to chill the pastry before using…
1 TBSP. Butter
3 Medium Size Cooking Apples (Peeled, Cored & Sliced)
500g (1 LB.) Ricotta Cheese
2 TBSP. Flour
1/2 Cup Caster Sugar
1/4 Cup Milk (Low Fat Milk is fine)
2 Teaspoons Grated Lemon Rind
1/2 Cup Raisins
Note: Tinned Apple Pie Filling may be used instead of fresh Apples, thus saving time. Omit Step 6 f using tinned fruit.
Also, you could try experimenting by using different fruits, such as Apricot…
- Mix Flour & Butter together (in a food processor is fine, and is much faster)
- Stir in the Sugar & mix to a stiff dough
- Knead dough lightly on a floured surface.
- Wrap the pastry & chill in refridgerator for 30 minutes.
- Roll out pastry to 3mm (1/8 inch) thickness, and line the base of a 23cm (9 inch) square cake tin or oven-proof dish. Reserve any pastry scraps for decoration.
- Melt butter, add apples & saute gently for 1-2 minutes
- In a food processor or bowl, beat together Eggs, Ricotta Cheese, Caster Sugar, Flour, Milk & Lemon Rind.
- Arrange Apples over pastry, sprinkle with 1/2 of the Raisins, add Cheese Mixture and then top with remaining raisins.
- Roll out remaining pastry (scraps) and cut into strips.
- Arrange pastry strips in a lattice over pie, brush with water.
- Bake in a moderate oven for about 1 hour, until the filling is firm and set.
- Cut into squares when cool (or alternatively you may also serve the Crostata Slices warm and served with fresh cream, vanilla ice-cream or even plain yoghurt).